Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ticking Off the Toronto Bucket List: Week #20

Wow guys...I've made it to Week #20! It's incredible! I have roughly 2 weeks left in Toronto, so just wait until you see the posts for weeks 21 and 22!! They will be jammed packed with Toronto goodness.

Now, this week I visited a lot of coffee shops. Hopefully you guys aren't sick of those posts. It's just a duty that I need to fulfill. My Dad says that "There is no life without coffee". Therefore, I need to respect his belief and continue to discover new places in order to live my life to the fullest :)

Anyway, I finally visited St. Lawrence Market so that was something different :)

So here it goes!

Bulldog Coffee 
89 Granby Street 


Oh Bulldog. I've been afraid to visit you!! I have heard that Bulldog Coffee is "the best coffee joint" in town, but I was very skeptical. I'm not sure if you have noticed... but I've been to many different coffee shops in Toronto, so I felt like it had a lot of hype to live up to. Now, I've also heard that the owner is a bit of a "meanie" and that the stuff aren't the greatest. So, I was a little nervous. But, I decided to face my fears and try it out. 



Bulldog Coffee is located in the Gay District, near College and Yonge. Not a far walk from College station. It's just tucked away into a side street. It was alright. Not a terrible place, but not a place that I would want to visit again. The staff was pleasant. The menu was alright. No brewed coffee though, which is fine for me, but not fine for many that I witnessed coming to the shop. Not all coffee places offer brewed coffee, so I totally understand. Anywho, I had a latte. It was nice :) Just a standard latte. Good form, nice art ;) 


There isn't any wi-fi. So it's not a "students go here to study place". It's more of a "professions" type place. I wouldn't recommend it for studying. It's more of a small chat, read the paper and go type vibe. I wouldn't come back here again, but if I'm in the neighbourhood I might. 

Good For: Reading the paper while drinking a nice latte, meeting up with co-workers/family
Not Good For: Studying, students, etc. 

3/5 Smiles! 


St. Lawrence Market 

Saturday Morning Market! 



Opens at 5am! Though, I was not there for 5am. More like 7:30am. 

I'll try to keep this one short. 
More expensive than Kensington Market or Koreatown. However, the produce is from local farmers who are coming from outside of the city. So it's all fresh and lovely. Though, it's more expensive than St. Jacob's Market in St.Jacob's Ontario, and I blame this on the fact that it's in Toronto. There is no other reason. Plus, St. Lawrence is located in a more "posh" part of Toronto. 



Great view of the city! Check out that Flat Iron building! 

Look at all the Butter Tarts!!!!!  


Lots of things to choose from, and the South Market (which is the building pictured above) has lots to see inside. The South Market is open throughout the week, whereas the North Market (with all the farmers) is only open Saturdays. 


South Market

St. Lawrence is definitely a place to visit as a tourist and occasionally as a local. However, I'm more of a Kensington Market kind of girl... 


Broadview Espresso 

817 Broadview Ave



I decided to visit the Danforth once again, but this time to a little coffee place near Broadview Station. It's a cute place. Pretty homey feeling. Coffee was nice and the cookie satisfied my hunger. The people were very much Danforth residents, making it feel as though I wasn't really in Toronto. This place seems to attract the "older than 40 crowd", with a few 30 somethings here and there. It's located on the Danforth, so I'm not that surprised. It's not in the heart of downtown where all the "young people" are located. 

Seating was really decent. Some window seats, a few tables and chairs, two comfy arm chairs. Not a place I would study or do work in though... 


In all, it was nice.

Good For: Reading your favourite book, meeting up with the locals, 

3.5/5 Smiles 



Mitzi's Sister 

1554 Queen Street West 



I have finally visited one of the Mitzi locations!
This particular Mitzi is located in Parkdale, and has an interesting vibe to it... I'm not really sure what kind of vibe it had.. but it's something. 
It's not exactly what I pictured it to be, but it was tasty nonetheless! The brunch menu looked really standard and nice. I got the fish cakes :) I didn't know fish cakes could be part of a brunch menu! 
My friends had pretty yummy dishes as well! 




The homefries are tasty and they offer fruit with each dish :) Nice touch. 

Now, I do feel like it was a bit pricy for some items. I had this conversation with someone the next day who told me "You need to visit Saving Grace, it's WAY better". Guess where I'll be visiting Week 22?!?  I'll be able to compare and let you know ;)

Mitzi's gets a 3/5 Smile rating today. Man, I'm pretty mean with the smile rating today! 


The Holy Oak Cafe 

1241 Bloor Street West 


I love this place! 
It's located on Bloor Street West near Landsdowne Station. Great vibe, open really late (it doubles as a bar), and has plenty of seating. Latte was great. I had a decaf latte, and it was just as tasty at the real thing! I would definitely come back here to relax with a good book, or study (if I were a student), chat with friends, etc. etc.. You can feel comfortable doing anything here :) Loved it. 


I want to come back here before I leave for sure!!!! 

Good For: Everyone. 

5/5 Smiles and then some! 

__________

ALRIGHT! Done Week #20!! Holy Crap. 

Only 2 weeks left to explore Toronto!

 This next little bit is going to be very exciting! 

Can't wait! ;) 

Keep Smiling, 

- Moni





1 comment: